Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

11 Back to School Read Alouds



One of my favorite parts of setting my classroom up is getting out all of the great books!
I have a set of books that I keep out for the kiddos in the library. I change these out every couple of weeks depending on what we are learning about. 
Right now it is all ready for the beginning of school!
I also have a special set of books that I keep just for read alouds. Reading aloud time is probably my favorite part of the day.

I LOVE being able to share new books with my kiddos! If you share them with excitement, the students will react to them with excitement. It becomes one of their favorite parts of the day as well. 

These are some of the read alouds I include at the beginning of the year.

1. The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
The Kissing Hand is a back to school classic, so I had to include it! I know most kindergarten teachers read this book within the first week. There are a ton of activities out there to go with this book and make a keepsake hand print. I refuse to get paint out on the first day of school so we just use it to discuss our feelings. 

2. Pete the Cat:Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin
I read this one of the very first day of school and the kiddos love it! We talk about the different places in school that Pete goes to before we take a school tour. We also make a graph later in the week showing our favorite color of shoes. I use a coloring page and first day certificate from Inspired by Kindergarten that you can download for FREE!

3. David Goes to School by David Shannon
We read about David on the second day of school to review our rules and expectations. Then we do a sorting activity as a class where we sort behaviors into good or bad choices.

4. If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff
Laura Numeroff is one of my favorite children's authors, so I was pumped when Kohl's had her books and stuffed animals this summer. I grabbed the mouse to use as our class pet this year. My dad has named him "Colby". I am going to introduce Colby to the class with this book. Each student will get an opportunity to take Colby home throughout the year. We also revisit this book at the end of the year to write our own "If You Take a Mouse to Kindergarten" stories.

 5. Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London
I love to incorporate this book because it was one of my favorites as a child. I usually use it towards the end of week one as students are becoming more comfortable with school. You have to read it with lots of expression! It is a funny favorite of the kiddos.

6. Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
 This book is perfect for kinder kiddos during the first week of school! I read it towards the end of day one when they are starting to get tired, cranky, and wondering if their parents are going to come back to get them. 

7. Baby Bear Sees Blue by Ashley Wolff
 
 I use this book during the third week of school to introduce our color unit. It is a very calming book and the illustrations are awesome!! One of my favorite read alouds!


8. Dr. Seuss's ABC Book and 9. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Classics! No kindergarten class should be without these books. I use them, of course, to introduce letters.

10. Never Ride Your Elephant to School by Doug Johnson
Another great humorous book! After reading this book, we make a graph about how we come to school. 

11. How to Read a Story by Kate Messner
I saw this book last year and just had to have it! I can't wait to use it to introduce literacy centers. Many students coming into kindergarten have never sat down with a book. This story is the perfect place to start!

I hope this gives you some ideas about books to read aloud in your own classroom. 
This time is so important to kindergarten kiddos!

Show them your love for reading right off the bat! :) 
















No comments:

Post a Comment