Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Poetry Friday

Wow, it's been a crazy week! Between meetings, planning, my second job, and birthdays I have definitely been behind on blogging. We did have a great Friday though!

Normally, I do a "morning message" with my students each day. However, on Fridays we have started having Poetry Friday. I introduce a new poem every other week. This week we started I'm a Little Leprechaun for St. Patrick's Day.
 
After echo reading the poem, the students come up and circle the sight words that they see. They then take turns being the "pointer" and pointing to the words as we practice reading the poem.
 
Each student has their own poetry folder to keep their poems in. They go back to their seats, circle their own sight words, and practice reading the poem for fluency. Then, they are also able to go back and read the other poems that we have practiced.

We practice the poem again the next week. Sometimes we add motions to go with the words. The kiddos love trying to recite the poem without looking at it!

This has become one of our favorite parts of Friday. I didn't start this practice until January this year, but it is something I will be starting early next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment