Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

March Madness Math

I am so excited for March Madness this year! I haven't completed my bracket yet, but you can bet the Kentucky Wildcats are going to be my champions.
We are starting to infuse March Madness into our math lessons. Today we practiced measuring with a yard stick. The two paw prints at the top are the 7 foot players, Dakari Johnson and Willie Cauley-Stein. The middle paw-print is my height and the bottom ones are the kiddos.
We took the students' pictures in front of the wall to show the height difference. Of course, they wanted to use the camera to take my picture too! (This was the least blurry one lol)

They couldn't believe the players are that tall in real life! Not many of the students knew their names right off the bat, but they knew they played for the Wildcats. One of my students was even wearing a Cauley-Stein jersey today! He was very excited.

After we had everyone measured, we discussed which students were the tallest and shortest. The students were naturally making comparisons to see who was the same height as themselves. 

Your state might not be as crazy about basketball, but this lesson could easily be adapted to any basketball team for March Madness. 

This classroom is busy cheering on the CATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment