Here at NKU we are gearing up for sorority recruitment weekend! I can't believe it has already been a year since I went through recruitment and found my home with Delta Gamma. It can definitely be a nerve racking experience. Here are some of my top tips for those going through recruitment:
- Bring Snacks! Recruitment requires long days/nights so bring some snacks and drink plenty of water.
- Wear Flats. Or bring flip flops to walk in and change into your heels right before the party. You may have to walk around your campus to get from one chapter to the other.
- Talk about yourself. The girls really want to get to know you to see what you can bring to their chapter. Don't be afraid to share your accomplishments and your goals for college.
- Stand Out. The women in each chapter will be meeting hundreds of potential new members, so try to wear a little something each night that will make you stand out and be remembered. Think a cute pair of shoes, something in your hair, etc.
- Keep negative comments to yourself. When I went through recruitment there were girls in my group that openly talked badly about specific chapters. Just because a chapter isn't a perfect fit for you doesn't mean it wasn't meant for someone else. If someone does end up joining the chapter you dissed, that girl will always remember what you said.
- Remember that each school is different. Just because you heard something about a sorority at a different school, doesn't mean that it is true for the chapter at the school you are going to. Plus, don't believe everything you hear. Its important to experience things for yourself. Each college has their own unique Greek community.
- Don't let a guy influence your decision. Join the sorority that is the best fit for you, not the one your current guy thinks is the most popular.
How will I know when I have found the right chapter?
For me, it was when the conversation came easily. I could see that the girls had high standards. I felt like I could relax when I was with them and at the end of their party I didn't want to leave.
Sorority Ever After is a great website with more detailed information and advice about recruitment.
Good luck to everyone going through recruitment!