Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

January Reads


Looking for ways to enjoy your day when its 3 degrees outside? I believe in the power of a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and a good book. Here is what I am reading this month:
 
The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani
I am reading this best seller for free right now! Kentucky libraries offer digital books and audiobooks for download. All you need is a card from your local library. I love being able to check these books out for free without having to leave home. Check out Kentucky Libraries Unbound (it is super easy to use!) or see if your state library offers a similar program.
I thought the book was a little slow at first but I'm getting more interested as the different storylines intertwine. Described as, "a breathtaking multigenerational love story that spans two continents, two World Wars, and the quest of two star-crossed lovers to find each other again," the book has rave reviews. Look into it if you are a fan of historical fiction like me!
 
 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Ok, I know I am behind on this one so I have to catch up. This was TIME Magazine's #1 fiction book of 2012. Plus, I got a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas and the book is on sale there for $9.99! Mine shipped the day after I placed my order.
The book focuses on the experience of Hazel, a 16 year old cancer patient, who meets Augustus Waters at a support group. This looks to be both full of humor and emotion.
 
 
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This book has recently become popular because of the movie released this past November. However, I've hear the book is better than the movie (aren't they always?). This was also a Barnes and Noble purchase for just $7.35.
Another historical book (my favorite!), this one takes place in Nazi Germany. A young foster girl begins stealing books and learns to read. As she shares the books, she gains a unique set of friends.
 
These are the books I'll be enjoying this month! I'm also always open for book suggestions. I'll try to read just about anything so let me know if you've read a great book recently.
 
Stay warm!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment